Yale ITS, Research Technologies is seeking a systems administrator with strong Linux skills to work with physicists at Yale’s Wright Laboratory and support a broad research program at the frontiers of fundamental physics. The position calls for creativity, innovativeness, and the ability to work well independently and as a team player. It also demands a passion for technology, an eye for detail, and a determined persistence in troubleshooting and solving issues. The successful candidate will support the scientific mission of several international collaborations of Wright Lab physicists. These missions rely on a range of systems including desktops, laptops, servers and storage arrays in laboratory and workgroup environments. The candidate will also support relational databases, scientific software such as SAS, Matlab, R, and, scripting languages such and Python and PERL. The ideal candidate will help researchers make best use of Yale’s High Performance Computing environment.
Degree and area of specialization: Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related field.
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience: A minimum of 3 years of Linux system administration experience is required. However, greater experience is a plus.
- Strong knowledge of scripting languages such as Python
- Linux administration experience
- Service monitoring and troubleshooting
- Ability to support scientific software.
- Using common software tools for tasks such as revision control and support tickets
Experience in any of the following is a plus:
- Distributed computing or HPC (e.g., cluster, grid, or cloud computing)
- Configuration management systems and automated server deployment
- Server deployment and orchestration in cloud environments
- Linux container related technologies
- Large-scale storage systems and distributed filesystems
The successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to initiate and complete technical projects with minimal supervision. Attention to detail is necessary, as is maintaining a commitment to quality of service and user support.
Principal duties: The main goal of this role is to help maximize the scientific output of world-class scientists by providing an agile, robust, and scalable computing infrastructure that delivers and fulfills the evolving scientific needs the Wright Laboratory. The successful candidate will:
- Enable scientific data processing and analysis on heterogeneous distributed computing infrastructure.
- Deliver technical expertise and provide recommendation in researching, evaluating and implementing new technologies.
- Provide high-level service for existing technologies and large scale projects, as well as high-end support for all technology.
- Manage operating systems, applications, web services, and content on the client’s servers.
- Maintain in depth knowledge of existing and emerging technologies.
- Develop and report on metrics that measure usage and reliability of all technology services provided.
- Other Scientific Computing duties as assigned.
For more information about the position, the Wright Lab or the Yale Center for Research Computing please direct questions to email@example.com.